The Lodge, still looking for a permanent home, moved ever forward.

Rt. Wor. C. A. Sinclair was at Herndon Lodge at least once a month. He installed most of the elected officers in all of the fifties for the incoming elect. As things go, many things broke down over time, such as when the electric sign broke down in 1955 and the whole evening was spent in discussion of what action was to take place to repair or fix it. As it worked out, the sign was repaired, and then replaced by Murphy & Ames at a cost of $19.00. A very hot August of 1955, forced a motion to purchase fans for the Lodge Hall. Heat in the lodge room was in the upper nineties.

As the occasion came up that a brother took ill, the Lodge would not send a card as we now do, yet they would send a basket of fruit.

A lot of land which the Lodge owned was sold to the Telephone Company for $15,000.00 in September, 1955. The Building Fund grew. The O.E.S. would hold a dance to help the Temple Fund many times in the fifties. One night in November of 1955, the dance took in $225.00.

One of the highlights, of the 50s was when Naval Lodge No. 4 asked Herndon to confer the Master Mason Degree upon two candidates. A dispensation had to be obtained and the Grand Master of Masons of the District of Columbia was to be in attendance. Grand Master of Virginia, P. Baker Harris, gave a dispensation for May 27th. Over 10 different Masters were presented at the Altar, two Grand Masters and over 100 Masons. A short history of Naval Lodge No. 4 was read and a Degree team in full dress raised Brother Joe Rizzo and Brother Flournoy to the sublime degree of Master Mason.

Many elected officials visit Herndon Lodge – some staying for a short time, and others staying longer. Bro. Joel T. Broyhill, member of Congress 10th. Congressional District did not miss many Lodge meetings back in 1957.

To end the 50’s, the Lodge had a 60th year anniversary on December 9th, 1957. Five Past Grand Masters were in attendance. The President of the Tall Cedars of Lebanon spoke on the history of the Craft. A program of music, song, and fellowship was to follow after Lodge.